A Historic Film Location in Ventura County
The Union Oil Building is a classic 1890 Victorian-Queen Anne two-story design that is on the National Register of Historic Sites. The ornate corner tower is a compelling exterior feature along with the Italiante brick archways, projecting bay windows, multi-hued carved brownstone and river rock veneers, and cast iron pillar supports. The exterior of the building appeared in feature films and many commercials. The permanent exhibits in Keck Hall on the first floor are Smithsonian quality presentations in oak and brass.
The Second Story Offices are among the finest preservations of a Victorian commercial building interior in southern California. These are the original ten offices of the Union Oil Company, featuring tiled oak fireplaces, oak wainscoting, stained glass windows, ornate plaster archways, ceiling medallions, and period lighting fixtures.
The Rig Room, constructed in 1990, houses a restored century-old wood and cast-iron drilling rig. The detailed authenticity of the cable-tool drilling rig evokes the rough-and-tumble early 20th-century era of oil wildcatters. The drilling rig is set against a wall mural depicting the bearded oilmen and rugged terrain common in the early oil fields. The exterior of the Rig Building is a contemporary design that blends beautifully with the classic architecture of the original building.
East Parking Lot is also available for filming, staging and craft services.